Modem over IP (MoIP or V.MoIP) provides a solution to connect analog modems to digital networks. Modem over IP enables legacy dial up modems to communicate over mobile, radio, satellite (Iridium, etc) and other IP networks. Contact us for additional information to discuss your Modem over IP and MoIP application needs.
- Access legacy dial-up modems over IP networks and VoIP networks
- Migrate to the cloud while maintaining legacy systems
- Eliminate phone lines and expenses
- Supports ITU V.150.1
Modem over IP Transport Methods
ITU V.150.1 identifies different modes for transmitting modem over IP networks.
- Modem Relay – the audio signal from the local modem is demodulated at the near end Analog Modem Adapter (AMA) and transmitted over the network and re-modulated at the far end AMA for transmission to the local modem. The AMA devices maintain state for the call session. Modem relay mode may be used for more reliable communications over networks where transmission delays and packet loss may degrade modem communications.
- Voiceband (VBD) – audio is encoded by a speech codec such as G.711 and transmitted as data packets over the network. VBD mode may be used over reliable networks with predictable throughput and negligible packet loss.
VOCAL supports V.150.1 and related specifications in it’s V.150 gateway package.
VOCAL’s SIP Software Modem technology provides dial up networking services by combining a soft-modem and VoIP channel module to implement an analog modem using SIP and RTP. This is a combination of SIP, VBD Mode, and a Soft Modem. The VOCAL SIP Analog Modem Server (SAMS) is an implementation of this, that can run in a data center or cloud based environment (such as AWS or Azure), and replace modem banks and E1/T1/ISDN lines with pure software.
Remote Access Server over IP is an alternate method where information encoded in the local modem audio signal is demodulated and decoded at the AMA and transmitted as data over the network using protocols such as TCP/TLS, Telnet or Text over IP. The Vocal AMA uses this method to pass modem data over an IP link that is not well suited for VBD mode. The AMA can be combined with a SAMS server using VOCAL MoIP server modules to solve almost any modem over IP problem.
Analog Modem Adapter (AMA)
An Analog Modem Adapter, also be referred to as an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA), enables legacy analog modems to communicate over digital networks using IP protocols. AMAs support telephony features such as device power, dial tone, ringing and telephone signaling to interact with the local modem. AMAs are designed to replace the analog telephone connections at remote sites with an IP enabled solution.
SIP Analog Modem Server (SAMS)
VOCAL’s SIP Analog Modem Server (SAMS) is an integration of our MoIP technology and Voice over IP Modems (VoIP) software stack. SAMS is a software based standalone modem server designed to deliver data modulations over a standard VBD mode VoIP connection. SAMS is used to replace hardware modem servers with a cloud ready software platform, remove expensive E1/T1/ISDN/Analog telecom lines, and replace out of data and end of life modem equipment. This solution is used extensively across industries using modem communications for Point of Sale, Alarm Monitoring, Industrial Control, Utility Metering, Environmental Monitoring, Out of Band Access and more.
VOCAL’s V.150 Gateway is a fully software-based gateway solution for connecting voice band data traffic to a V.150 modem relay endpoint, or another V.150 gateway. The V.150 gateway supports standard ITU-T and Bell modulations including V.34, V.32, V.32bis, V.22bis, V.22, Bell 212, V.23, V.21, Bell 103, V.90, V.91 and V.92. The V.150 Gateway can facilitate back-to-back Voice over IP calls carrying modem traffic or it can terminate physical connections such as FXS, FXO, T1, E1, or analog. VOCAL’s V.150 Gateway software is ideal for integrating V.150 capability into existing gateway products, enabling communications for secure STE and STU phones, as well as carrying reliable modem traffic over VoIP network backbones.
VOCAL’s MoIP software is part of a fully integrated and highly configurable VoIP software solution with a Network Stack, SIP Stack, secure communications, full-featured Telephony software, and a comprehensive data modulation and data modem software library. Supported data modulations include V.34, V.32, V.32bis, V.22bis, V.22, Bell 212, V.23, V.21, Bell 103, V.90, V.91 and V.92 modem standards as well as standard fax modulations. Our software also supports higher data protocol layers including V.42 (including MNP2-4), V.42bis, V.44 and MNP-5.
VOCAL’s MoIP software library is modular and optimized for DSPs and conventional processors from TI, ADI and other leading vendors. Our MoIP software is available for licensing as a library or a complete AMA design with custom solutions available.
- SIP Analog Modem Server (SAMS)
- Analog Modem Adapter
- VoIP Communications
- Modem over IP (MoIP)
- SIP Software Modem
- Virtual Modem Server
- Remote Access Server over IP
- Data Modem Software
- Fax Communications
- Fax over IP
- V.150.1 – Modem-over-IP networks: Procedures for the end-to-end connection of V-series DCEs
- V.152 – Procedures for supporting voice-band data over IP networks
- V.153 – Interworking between T.38 and V.152 using IP peering for real time facsimile services