VOCAL’s V.34 modem software fully implements recommendation ITU-T V.34 which defines the modulation methods and operating sequences for a high speed modem used on General Switched Telephone Networks (GSTNs) and on point-to-point 2-wire leased telephone-type circuits. Our V.34 softmodem is optimized for leading DSPs as a real-time implementation that can be configured to support multichannel applications.
The V.34 modem software is modular and can be executed by developers as a single task under a variety of operating systems or standalone with its own microkernel. It is available standalone, as part of an embedded library, or with a VoIP stack for integration with developer applications. Our V.34 softmodem may be licensed as binary or source code with custom designs available. Contact us to discuss your V.34 modem application requirements.
V.34 Software Features
- Fully compliant with ITU recommendations
- Supports 14 data rates in the range of 2400 bps and 33600 bps (increments of 2400 bps)
- Modem MIB support (RFC 1696)
- Advanced line probing analysis automatically determines maximum channel capacity
- Symbol rates for 2400, 2743, 2800, 3000, 3200, and 3429 symbols per second
- 200 bps auxiliary channel
- Asymmetric symbol and data rates
- MSE fallback/fallforward threshold control to adjust tradeoff between higher data channel rates andsymbol error rates
- Multichannel implementation
- Multi-tasking environment compatible
- Optimized for performance on leading edge DSP architectures
VOCAL’s V.34 modem software uses state-of-the-art line probing analysis to automatically determine maximum channel capacity. It also supports MSE fallback/fallforward threshold control to adjust the tradeoff between higher data channel rates and symbol error rates. V.34 channel separation is accomplished using echo cancellation techniques.
The V.34 fax softmodem uses Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM) with synchronous line transmission to support selectable mandatory rates of 2400, 3000, and 3200 symbols/s and optional rates of 2743, 2800 and 3429 symbols/s. Asymmetric symbol and data rates are also supported. Negotiation and training sequences at startup establish the data rate. V.34 control channel rates are 1200 and 2400 bps, with an optional auxiliary channel with a synchronous data signalling rate of 200 bit/s. Adaptive techniques are used to achieve close to the maximum data signaling rate that a channel can support on each connection.
The V.34 line interface may be an analog front end (codec and DAA) or a digital interface such as T1/E1, Switched 56, and ISDN. The upper end of this software can provide a PPP, HDLC, V.14 or a direct binary framing layer. With V.34, higher data protocol layers, V.42 (including MNP 2-4), V.44, V.42bis and MNP 5, are also available.
The V.34 modulation family can be combined with other data modulations (V.92, V.90, V.32bis/V.32, and V.22bis/ V.22/V.23 V.21). Automatic modulation determination procedures (Automode) include those of V.8, V.8bis and PN-2330. All V.34 modulation software is fully compatible with VOCAL’s facsimile, telephony, speech coder and multimedia systems.
V.34 Block Diagram
- DAA interface using linear codec at 9.6 kHz, 8.0 kHz, or 16.0 kHz sample rate
- Direct interface to 8.0 kHz PCM data stream (A-law or μ-law)
- PPP (RFC 1662), HDLC, V.14 and direct binary framing layer
- North American and International Dialing/Telephony dialing functions available
- DTMF detection during voice modes available
- Data protocol layer (V.42/MNP 2-4/V.44/V.42bis/MNP 5) available
- VOCAL’s Overall Modem Controller (OMC) Layer provides coordinated data modulation / data protocol operation relative to V.34 startup, shutdown, modulation retrains and modulation renegotiations.
- System can be combined with V.110 rate adaptation software.
- System can be combined with other modulations (V.92, V.90, V.32bis, et al.) and automode procedures (V.8bis, V.8 and PN-2330).
- Data/Facsimile/Voice Distinction upon startup is available. Complete facsimile systems, modulations (V.34 fax, V.17, et al.) and protocols (T.30), and speech coders available.
VOCAL’s data modem software is available for the following platforms:
- Texas Instruments - C6000 (TMS320C62x, TMS320C64x, TMS320C645x, TMS320C67x), C5000 (TMS320C54x, TMS320C55x), OMAP3 (OMAP35x, OMAP36x), OMAP4 (OMAP44x), Sitara (AM37x)
- Analog Devices – Blackfin, TigerSHARC, SHARC
- ARM – ARM7, ARM9, ARM9E, ARM10E, ARM11, StrongARM, ARM Cortex-A8
- AMCC – PowerPC
- MIPS – MIPS32, MIPS64, MIPS4Kc
- AMD x86
Please contact us for V.34 modem supported platforms.
VOCAL’s V.34 modem software is available for the following Operating Systems:
- Unix, Linux, uClinux
- Microsoft Windows ACM / RTC / CE / Mobile
- Mac OS
- Green Hills Software
Please contact us for other supported Operating Systems.